Acne isn’t fun for people of any age, but those with acne in their teen years may suffer an even greater level of self-consciousness and embarrassment. Kids feel a great pressure to look their best and with so many physical changes already happening, pimples and blackheads can just lead to added stress and moodiness. Teenagers from every ethnic background, nationality, size and shape will probably experience acne during their teen years. In fact, up to 85% of adolescents experience acne. We’re exploring the causes of teenage acne and what you can do to treat it.
What Causes Teen Acne?
Hormones and genetics, which are beyond anyone’s control, are the main causes of acne. However, there are other causes that can exacerbate skin issues.
Many teens have not developed proper hygiene, which can be a big problem for already acne-prone skin. For example, not showering after exercising. The sweat left behind on your skin after working out or playing sports allows bacteria to grow, and that can lead to rashes and breakouts. Teens also may not know they need to wash their face before bed. Cleansing your skin at night will lessen the amount of oil on the skin, removing acne-causing bacteria, which will result in fewer blemishes.
Other causes of teen acne include over-treating skin with the wrong skin products and not using moisturizer, which leads to an over production of oil, further exacerbating the problem. Many teens use comedogenic makeup, which clogs their pores even more than they already are. Teens with acne need to make sure they keep their skin clean, hydrated and free of pore clogging ingredients at all times.
How To Treat Teen Acne
Home care treatments I recommend for teens with acne:
- ClarityMD: This is a 2-step system that is super-effective and easy for teens. Simply cleanse with the deep pore cleanser and then follow with the clarifying serum every day, twice a day.
- StackedSkincare EGF Activating Serum: This potent serum speeds up healing to eliminate acne and reduce (PIH) post inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- StackedSkincare Deep Sea Mineral Peel: Innovative organic peel reduces oil production, the appearance of large pores and kills acne causing bacteria.
- SPF 30 Broadband UVA/UVB Protection
- PCASkin Clearskin Moisturizer: A light water based moisturizer perfect for acne and oily skin types.
- Clarisonic: A cleansing brush that loosens and removes dirt and oil, cleansing 6 times better than hands
- Stackedskincare Bamboo Face Towel Kit: 100% Bamboo towel kit is designed to ensure proper cleansing without spreading bacteria. A fresh soft towel everyday and a bamboo bag makes it easy to store dirty wet towels
Also, check Out My Top 12 Acne Preventing Tips!
Professional treatments are also highly recommended. I treat my teens with the Silkpeel Microdermabrasion and medium depth peels every 2 weeks until their acne is cleared, and then they come for treatments every 4-8 weeks. It's super important to treat acne professionally at a young age to prevent damage to the skin that will be much more difficult to treat later including post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH), and pitting (scarring). These treatments are very safe for teens and highly effective with no downtime.
The emotional damage of having acne at this young age is something that can affect teens in the long term. Getting help for acne is critical to prevent it from worsening and potentially scarring. If you can’t afford professional treatments, the tips I provided above should substantially help reduce, if not completely eliminate your breakouts. For more severe cases, you may need to seek a dermatologist for stronger prescription methods.