WHAT WE ARE COVERING HERE
- Pores enlarge when they are clogged: oil trying to escape the clog stretches the pore.
- Exfoliate 2x weekly with a peel to prevent dead skin cells from clogging your pores.
- Stimulate cell turnover with growth factors and microneedling to refine skin texture.
- Keep the skin hydrated to prevent excess oil production that can make pores look larger.
Ever had a “help, my pores are huge!” moment? Us too. Although you can’t actually get rid of visible pores entirely, you can certainly make them less noticeable. Here’s the whole truth and nothing but the truth about pores and what you can do to shrink them.
Pores are a necessary structural part of your skin— these little openings help your body release sweat, toxins, and natural oils that keep the skin hydrated. Despite what you may have heard, pores don’t open and close— even if you apply cold or hot water. They aren’t controlled by muscles so there’s no way for them to actually dilate and shrink. While you can’t instantly close or tighten pores by using skincare products, you can make them look smaller by keeping them clean and healthy.
HOW DO PORES ENLARGE?
Although your default pore size is largely genetic, pores stretch and expand when they become clogged with excess oil, dirt, and dead skin cells. When a pore becomes clogged, sebum produced by your oil glands has a harder time escaping the pore— this causes the edges of the pore to stretch as the oil tries to escape. Even when the clog is gone, the pore can remain stretched and visible.
HOW TO SHRINK PORES AT HOME:
No single skincare step can solve enlarged pores on its own. Combine these healthy skin habits to balance facial oil, dislodge clogged pores, stimulate cell turnover, and smooth your texture over time.
- REDUCE OIL: To prevent pores from clogging in the first place, start by controlling excess oil and dirt. Cleanse twice a day with a gentle, non-stripping cleanser like our PREBIOTIC GEL CLEANSER to remove makeup, oil, dirt and debris.
- EXFOLIATE: Exfoliate twice a week with an at-home peel to prevent dead skin cells from getting trapped inside your pores. Peels are less abrasive than scrubs and help evenly resurface skin. Our TCA LACTIC & GLYCOLIC FACE PEEL is formulated with salicylic acid to help dislodge pore clogs and retinol, which helps reveal fresh skin and smooth the look of uneven skin texture. If you find some exfoliating acids are too much for your skin or if you’re expecting, reach for a detoxifying enzyme treatment like our DUAL ENZYME MASK. Our pregnancy-safe mask is formulated with natural fruit enzymes and Amazonian white clay to gently dissolve dead skin and help draw out pore-clogging impurities to reveal softer, smoother skin.
- SEE AN AESTHETICIAN: Regular extractions performed by an aesthetician can help reduce the size of your pores. An aesthetician knows how to remove blackheads and congested pores without damaging your skin. A monthly visit can keep your pores clean so they don’t become larger over time.
- SUPPORT CELL TURNOVER: The key to smoothing out textural imperfections like visible pores starts with stimulating your skin’s healing response so that it creates new skin cells. Our EGF ACTIVATING SERUM is formulated with powerful growth factors that help stimulate cell turnover. Use the serum with a MICRONEEDLING SKIN REFINING TOOL to micro-exfoliate and further activate your skin’s healing response.
- MOISTURIZE: When skin is dehydrated, your oil glands can start to over-compensate by producing an excess of pore-clogging oil. Use a lightweight moisturizer to replenish your skin’s hydration levels without clogging the skin. Our MICROBIOME DAILY RESCUE MOISTURIZER is formulated with a ceramide complex that helps strengthen the skin’s lipid barrier and prevent water loss that leads to excess oil production.
- USE SPF: The sun breaks down your skin’s collagen, which can make enlarged pores look worse over time. UV rays are also responsible for free radical damage, which cause premature signs of aging and cancer. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 to protect skin against UVA and UVB damage.