Do men and women age differently? The answer may seem unfair, but the truth is that researchers have discovered women’s skin does in fact age quicker than men. Here is what you need to know and how I help my clients maintain a youthful look and healthy skin at all ages.
Collagen is a natural protein component of the skin and is the main building block for cells, tissues and organs. No matter what age, the collagen density in men is higher than it is in women. Researchers believe this higher collagen density is the reason why women appear to age faster than men of the same age.
With age and environmental damage, collagen is lost. As time goes on, the body's natural production of it decreases. The physical signs of aging in adults such as wrinkles are a result of that decrease in collagen. The damage to the underlying structure of the skin reduces its ability to maintain elasticity and retain moisture. Both men and women lose about one percent of their collagen per year after their 30th birthday. For women, menopause can greatly increase that percentage.
Age, sex, and location of an individual all determine the thickness of their skin. Men’s skin is about 25% thicker than women’s skin thanks to androgens (i.e. testosterone), which yield a denser network of collagen fibers than that found in female skin. A man’s skin also thins gradually with age, whereas woman’s skin thickness remains constant until about the age of fifty. After menopause, female skin will continue to thin significantly.
What Can Be Done?
- Stop Those Bad Habits: Steer clear of collagen-killers such as smoking, too much sun, poor nutrition, stress (from excess cortisol), and poor hydration.
- Vitamin D: Not only does Vitamin D stimulate collagen production, it also helps to minimize acne, boost elasticity, enhance radiance, and lessen lines and the appearance of dark spots
- Calcium: Calcium helps the body regulate how fast it generates new skin cells and how quickly it sheds old skin cells. Skin that does not have enough calcium stored in the epidermis may appear fragile, thin and dry. The appearance is caused by the lack of calcium to spur new skin growth or to let go of dead skin cells.
- Vitamin C: It’s not just good for your overall health (Vitamin C has been known to fight colds); when used on the skin, vitamin C can help collagen production and lighten dark spots.
- Vitamin A: Retinols and Retin A are known to stimulate collagen production and are one of the best ways to help skin stay looking youthful.
- Microneedling at home: There are a few wonderful treatments you can use at home for stimulating collagen production and microneedling is the very best. StackedSkincare is ideal for at-home use, our skincare systems safely and effectively stimulate collagen production and significantly increase active ingredients, making your serums work better! Watch our videos here
- Hydration: Make sure your skin maintains proper moisture levels by using a moisturizer with both humectant and occlusive ingredients. Humectants draw moisture from the dermis to the epidermis while occlusive ingredients seal in moisture and protect the skin. Hyaluronic acid is one of the most common humectants while shea butter and squalane are fantastic occlusives to look for. Try StackedSkincare's HA Hydrating Serum, loaded with potent moisturizing ingredients including hyaluronic acid, Niamincide, Lactic Acid and Trehelose. Watch our video here
The best thing women can do to fight aging is get regular professional treatments and use the right corrective products at home. I created my StackedSkincare line to keep skin looking young, healthy and glowing. Using the right products and tools can make all the difference for your skin. Consult your skincare expert to find out what is best for your skin or sign up for a coaching session with me so I can help you.
You can purchase StackedSkincare online, perfect for all skin types and conditions. Our products deliver powerful anti-aging results at home!
I am in my late 50's, and struggle with all of the effects of hormonal changes and daily stress. Hormonal changes can really wreak havoc on skin! I have been using the Rejuvenating Stack for just over a month and it really does just that - rejuvenate. The way the 3 products work together is beautifully synergistic. I was worried about using the micro-needle at first, but now I really love the way it feels on my skin! I have had clients comment out of the blue at how great my skin looks - which is a real treat for someone my age! I am looking forward to trying the new PSC serum to enhance my already terrific results.
Feel Young Again
Love the way it makes my skin feel tight and smooth in the mornings. A def. must have in my skin care regimen. In my 40s and can use all the help I can get!!
I was totally shocked! I'm in my late 30's and my skin is beginning to look like when I was in my 20's again since using Kerry's stacked skincare. I have seen a huge notable improvement in my wrinkles, especially around my eyes and mouth area, my pores look smaller, some discoloration spots are almost totally faded away, and even my blackheads are almost all gone! I seriously can't believe it still! I saw immediate improvements from the first use of the derma roller with serum- my skin felt so soft, wrinkles seemed less pronounced, and some discoloration looked less redish - brownish. I can't recommend Kerry's stacked products enough! I still can't believe the results from a non-surgical product! SO AHHMAZING!